After all our goodbyes we spent a few days in Nairobi. Not the most interesting city in the world, but thankfully not as scary as we had been led to believe.
We took the overnight train from there to Mombasa in "1st Class", a designation which may have been accurate 30 years ago in its glory days. Out of all the trains we have taken it was the most run down - no electricity in most cars, no toilet seats, broken locks on doors, stuffing exploding from the sleepers - but we were able to sleep pretty well so it wasn't too bad.
We found a great budget hotel in Mombasa and spent most of our 5 days catching up on the internet since it was pouring rain. Some of you have noticed that Tim has joined Facebook (as a way of keeping in touch with people we've met here) so he was busy adding to his friend list while I checked out what happened in the world in the past 6 weeks. By the way, I want everyone to promise me that nothing else exciting will happen at home until August 15. Two of my best friends getting engaged, friend expecting babies - we're so happy for you, but I hate missing out on this!
Anyway, we checked out the historical Fort Jesus and wandered around the old town. We also went to the local movie theatre to see Pirates of the Caribbean, but unfortunately when I was on a popcorn run I missed the customary singing of the Kenyan National Anthem that precedes each film. There was also a 10-minute intermission half way through the film - did they have that elsewhere, or was this another Kenyan movie peculiarity???
After much anticipation my parents arrived on June 2nd and we all settled into the resort near Kikambala beach. It was SO great to see them again (and to stay in a nice place!). We hadn't seen them in about 8 months so we caught up and chilled out by the pool before heading off on a day tour of Mombasa and later a four day safari to Tsavo National Park. That was an altogether different safari experience. Instead of the campsites we were used this time we stayed in lodges overlooking water holes, so while enjoying yummy dinners we could watch the herds of elephants and other animals wander in for a drink. At one lodge we even watched a Leopard come by to eat some meat they hang in a nearby tree. All in all we had amazing luck with the big cats; driving beside four lions for about ten minutes as they wandered up the road, and finding a lioness chilling out on a rock with three adorable cubs. Photos to be updated soon!
Aside from the drives we also had a few close encounters at the lodges, including one morning when a baboon (with a baby clinging to her tummy) jumped up on a nearby table and stole the sugar bowl. She sat nearby wolfing it all down until a waiter chased her off with a large stick. Much scarier was during dinner one night when a woman four tables over screamed and jumped up from her table. She had reached under the table for her handbag and discovered a RED MAMBA lying on it!!! (This was confirmed by staff, but Tim and I had recognized it from a campsite/snake park/museum we stayed at weeks earlier. The caption on its enclosure noted that they are volatile and unpredictable, with a highly toxic venom causing immediate paralysis and perhaps death. Excellent!) Again, out came the big stick and they flicked it off the deck.
During the hairy drive back to the resort we visited a Maasai village and were treated to a traditional dance, which Tim and Dad bravely and hilariously attempted. At the resort we chilled out some more, learned to play the very addicting Canasta, went for a village tour, visited the incredible Gede ruins and just enjoyed our last few days together. It went by way too fast but we had a great time. Mom & Dad flew out on June 16th and since then Tim and I have been trying to readjust to the backpacker's lifestyle.
Mom & Dad, thanks again for a wonderful 2 weeks. We miss you already!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hello Travelers!
Firstly -I'm very sorry for the very long time inbetween comments.
Secondly...WOW, WOW, WOW! Africa sounds amazing. I can't believe the things that you have done, seen, visited and experienced. Perhaps Scott and I need to make that our next adventure.
Now -I need to share some bad news with you....deep breath...our good friend Knox has resigned. : (
I know....I'm sad too, especially as he made your "Best of" list.
Tim: I added you onto my facebook. Not sure if you guys are adding photos there too -but I am a fb junkie, so thought I might be able to keep updated easier.
Laura: You need to get fb too. (You'll be addicted when you come home).
What else. I guess that is about all I can post on here. Laura, I may send an email your way in a couple days. : )
Hope you are having a blast. Give my love to the hyena's.
-Lisa Riess
Who's pregnant?!!!! Oh ya, and we miss you. :)
Hi there guys, I can't believe your trip is almost over and what an experience you have had....wait till you read all your messages one day down the road. We miss you here in Toronto and I wanted to let you know that I went to Thailand for 2 weeks and had a fantastic time. Stayed in Chiang Mai the second week and did all the things that Lisa Riess told me that I had to do!!!! what an experience. Glad to see you are having a blast, equally happy to hear that the Mamba wasn't on your handbag. Take care, Karen Welch in To
Post a Comment